Established 1975 Contact Us: info@danaanglingclub.org Weigh SlipFacebook Dana Angling Club
Dana Angling Club Dana Angling Club

Author Topic: Swordy!!!  (Read 483 times)

Brad Genovese

• El patron
Swordy!!!
« on: May 19, 2020, 05:27:11 PM »
Wow I can’t believe I’m writing about a swordfish we caught. I’ve always loved the stories of the battles and the heartbreaks from these beasts. So let’s see. I read about the deep drop technique like 4 years ago and just never got around to really trying it. Last year I watched as a lot of them were caught. I never really put the gear together so stuck to tuna.  The last few months I decided I’d gear up for a chance at this maybe September-November. I watched a lot of RJ Boyle videos, talked to him on the phone, bought some gear from him, and found a used LP1200 reel on the East coast. I know maybe not as sporty with that reel but watching the booby trap guys and RJ Boyle I figured I’d go for it. Found captain Sam Long who has all the experience here.

Next thing was where to go. Well seems like swords have been caught on all our great high spots and canyons and even in the middle of nowhere, so even though it’s a 1000 feet down it’s all about conditions still I guess. Work has kept me pretty busy so haven’t been out a lot. Well I took a week off last week and since we can’t go anywhere I decided I’d try to get out on the water at least a day or two.

In all honesty I just wanted to test out my rigging and new gear so when the season really hits I don’t struggle. Went off the coast and looked for fishy surface conditions to drop. Practiced deploying the buoy rod and up and down rod. Looked at a few spots and drifted for a few hours without any bites. There was some chop and swell so kept the boat pointed into it so we weren’t rocking and rolling too much. Around 4 pm found some kelps with birds, some bait on the meter, and then marks at 1000 feet. Haven’t seen that all day. Not sure if it was DSL or bait fish but it got my attention. Dropped a squid to 1200 feet. 10 minutes later rod tip bounces. Went up and then dropped squid, then started bringing line in and the rod loaded up.

Holy shit. In the back of my mind I remember all the many stories of losing these fish at boatside or during fight so I’m just waiting to see the rod go ping. But it doesn’t. Fish swims up. I have 900 ft of line out and I’m staring at reel then look up and see a splash in the distance, damn it jumped and missed it. Then back boat down and get line. 200 feet and boom another jump, this time I see sword and all come out. Holy shit it’s really a swordfish. Get to the weight and keep boat in gear to keep tension on line and thank god still on. 20 feet from boat and jumps again, so bummed we didn’t get picture but was Nat geo status. Luckily this guy never dove on us again. Able to maneuver boat and get em. I thought he was gonna snap gaffs. Had 3 in him at one time. Bleeding pretty good. Rope around the bill to keep control. Let him bleed out and then slid him through the transom door.

It was done, we have a freaking swordfish on El Patron. Really a special deal for me and my family. And I totally appreciate that we are better lucky then good. Circle hook in corner of the mouth. Sometimes it just comes together.

Head into fuel dock. Trying to call ahead but they are closed. One of the employees was in their car about to leave when we begged them to stay, with a tip!

Weighed 303 lbs. Ended up gutting fish and icing overnight and cleaning in am. Fish had an entire rockfish in its stomach and was completely full yet he still ate!

What an incredible fishery we have!

Please let me make very clear Call Sam long to be your captain!!!! He is the main reason we caught this swordy.
(714) 261-7538
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 01:54:19 PM by Brad Genovese »

DAC B.O.D.

• Dana Angling Club
  • Administrator
  • "In the end...It's all about Fishing"
Re: Swordy!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:07:51 PM »
Brad,
Congrats on your swordfish and thanks for posting a report!  I'm super stoked for you and your crew on getting one on your first attempt. Glad you took the time to get out and set your gear, it's amazing when it all comes together.   
Awesome job!
Chris Bailey
Sincerely,

Your Board of Directors

Mike Ellinger

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »
That is spectacular!   Way to go.  We need a tutorial on how to fish for these things locally at one of the meetings.  Dying to try it. 

Pat

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 03:01:29 PM »
Congratulations, awesome catch.  And in May too. 

Jeff Tom

• Start'm Young
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 08:54:16 PM »
Great Job Brad... love the story... you are now part of that club... maybe not the last one of the year for you!....

Jeff
Jeff

Team Black Fin

Hattaboy

• If you're not out fishing you're being outfished
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 07:15:07 AM »
 Congratulations, Brad!

So cool to hear how it came together for you. Awesome report!

Best,

G

watrloged

• BOD
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 09:02:28 AM »
Awesome, your time and preparation really paid off.....Love it when a club member "rocks" it!!!!  Great post, thank you....Dave P

Copyright © Tuna Dana Angling Club Tuna All Rights Reserved Tuna Privacy Policy Tuna Terms and Conditions Tuna Site Map Tuna Advertise

The Dana Angling Club is a Non Profit Corporation Founded November 25, 1975 An Associate Member of: Dana Point Fisheries Enhancement Program, International Game Fish Association and United Anglers of Southern California

Website by OCwebs