Established 1975 Contact Us: info@danaanglingclub.org Weigh SlipFacebook Dana Angling Club
Dana Angling Club Dana Angling Club

Author Topic: BFT Report July 25th  (Read 90 times)

CBailey

• Administrator
  • El Presidente
BFT Report July 25th
« on: July 26, 2020, 09:12:41 PM »
Headed out late Friday night with Geoff Heldoorn and Jay Lennon. Plan was a day trip to fish SCI for some Tuna and Yellows. Left Dana around 10pm after picking up some dines. Cruised down the line, arriving in area at grey light.  Checked out several paddies and found one holding some Yellowtail.  Jay and I both missed a couple, Geoff got his to the boat.  Okay, the skunk's off the boat. We came across several spots of breaking tuna, they were not interested in anything we threw out.  We kept moving west as the morning went on.  Set up to drift some baits out by 381, dines, mackeral and flyers out.  We had the kite and balloon out with flyers underneath.  Did this drift thru the midday tide with nothing to show.  Discussing a departure time of 4pm...  Around 330 Geoff saw a little movement by my flyer, he called it out and then we see another splash. Not the big explosion, but a splash. Followed by a bigger splash and then the balloon sinks to the water and breaks off.  I'm on, but not sure about the size! At first this fish doesn't make any big runs or do anything other then swim up swell.  Then it figured out it's hooked, harness on and the fun begins. Geoffs on the controls, running the boat, Jay's cleared the rods and getting ready.  After the first hour we've seen deep color, then the fish settled in between 50 and 75ft. After the second hour, and having flash backs of last years 8hr battle, turned up.the heat and pulled hard. Got the fish doing big circles up high. At the 2.5 hour, we got the fish to the boat, Geoff and Jay on the gaffs.  Got a tail rope on the fish and pulled it on board.  High fives all around, we see how big this fish is.  Measured out at 80"×54", doing the math it's around 292lbs. It's now 2hrs past our planned departure time, secured and iced the fish, washed the deck, cleaned gear. Making the run home... Arrived in Dana at 10pm, exhausted from a great trip.  Met up at the fuel dock at 830am, time to weigh in. Official weight is 285.70lbs. Breaking the previous 80# class record of 274lbs....

Thanks go out to both Geoff and Jay, these fish definitely take a group effort. 

The hunt for a super cow continues....  Next one???
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:37:53 PM by CBailey »

watrloged

• BOD
Re: BFT Report July 25th
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 07:57:39 AM »
You guys are getting the Big Fish thing down.  Congrats!!!   So close to 300#.....Good Job...Dave

Pat

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 10:44:49 AM »
Boy what an awesome fish and congrats on the club record upgrade!! 8)

Jeff Tom

• Start'm Young
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 09:47:33 PM »
Watched the battle from the sidelines...pretty awesome job guys!....congratulations...

J
Jeff

Team Black Fin

Hattaboy

• If you're not out fishing you're being outfished
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 09:33:20 AM »
Congratulations, Chris!

What an awesome fish and so cool to see it all go down. The first small flicker splash at his bait made me think a baby Blue Shark was messing with his flyer, but the real bite was a vicious slashing strike that left no doubt this was a serious fish. Here's a link to a video of the trip:

https://youtu.be/zjftg1h6ZkY

Best,

G

Hooked

• Administrator
  • Go FISH!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 11:11:20 AM »
Such a cool video as usual. Great job again boys.
Geoff Hersch
Hooked-48' Riviera

fishin fool

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 11:46:22 AM »
never shared before so putting on this subject board.. headed to catalina this morning from san pedro. turned around at about halfway mark. 6-8 foot swell with 2-4 foot crossswell.
regular washboard. i have 55 years in on this channel and i have seen this before so i just want to get a heads up to all the captains. the big boats will be ok but in my opinion anything under 30' should take a hard look at weather tomorrow. good luck.. of course i have the littlest boat in the fleet. "not very big but very very tuff" :-) john a .. 'Ruffian'

Scott Kingsmill

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 04:38:34 PM »
Thanks for the heads up

Copyright © Tuna Dana Angling Club Tuna All Rights Reserved Tuna Privacy Policy Tuna Terms and Conditions Tuna Site Map Tuna Advertise

The Dana Angling Club is a Non Profit Corporation Founded November 25, 1975 An Associate Member of: Dana Point Fisheries Enhancement Program, International Game Fish Association and United Anglers of Southern California

Website by OCwebs