Established 1975 Contact Us: info@danaanglingclub.org Weigh SlipFacebook Dana Angling Club
Dana Angling Club Dana Angling Club

Author Topic: Bluefin and Yellowtail at the Cortez Bank  (Read 285 times)

Hattaboy

• If you're not out fishing you're being outfished
Bluefin and Yellowtail at the Cortez Bank
« on: November 08, 2020, 08:12:53 AM »
I headed out for the Cortez with Chris Bailey, Jay Lennon and my brother Todd. We left Friday night and headed out to the Cortez Bank where the Bluefin fishing had been really good for about a week. We baited up with Sardines and Mackerel and frozen Flying Fish. We headed for the West end of SCI and looked for Yellowtail at the 9 Fathom spot at grey light. No luck. Off we went and found 2 spots of foaming Bluefin between San Clemente Island and the Eastern side of the Tanner Bank but couldn't get close enough to fish them. Once we got out to the Cortez we started marking fish and set out 2 balloons. We had almost immediate action and ended up going 1 for 5 on Bluefin bites. We fished Flat Fall jigs at night drifting on the bank with the rest of the fleet until we finally had to anchor up for the night without any luck. the following morning we fished Yellowtail on anchor and went 1 for 2. It was an awesome trip with great weather. Couldn't have asked for more.

Video link:

https://youtu.be/aSq2Ni4r618

Best,

G

Jeff Tom

• Start'm Young
Re: Bluefin and Yellowtail at the Cortez Bank
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »
Great video G!... such a great trip for you guys, congrats on the fish. Floater rigs seem to work some...20 minutes good work, I'm glad you drove the fish, worked well...

J
Jeff

Team Black Fin

Hattaboy

• If you're not out fishing you're being outfished
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 05:27:04 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.

It was kind of a lazy fish but I'll take that everyday. Fun trip even though it was a looooong way out there. ;)

G

Jeff Tom

• Start'm Young
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 05:32:29 AM »
No doubt, when did you leave? how long of a drive to and back?...speed?

j
Jeff

Team Black Fin

Copyright © Tuna Dana Angling Club Tuna All Rights Reserved Tuna Privacy Policy Tuna Terms and Conditions Tuna Site Map Tuna Advertise

The Dana Angling Club is a Non Profit Corporation Founded November 25, 1975 An Associate Member of: Dana Point Fisheries Enhancement Program, International Game Fish Association and United Anglers of Southern California

Website by OCwebs