Established 1975 Contact Us: info@danaanglingclub.org Weigh SlipFacebook Dana Angling Club
Dana Angling Club Dana Angling Club

Author Topic: 135# Bluefin Tuna 6/27/20  (Read 546 times)

Hooked

• Administrator
  • Go FISH!
135# Bluefin Tuna 6/27/20
« on: June 29, 2020, 01:42:58 PM »
Short Report Only: Mike Ellinger and I left DP around 6:30am headed for a spot based on good dope from the day before. Metered fish all day within a 2-3 sq nm from spots we have caught fish over the last 4 years. These BFT seems to have their migration and feeding patterns dialed in.

Very little surface activity all day. We did chase one school of nice size fish for an hour or so and were able to drag the "yummy" over the school 2 times for no bite.  After changing it up and drifting with dead flyers for an hour or so, we quickly aborted that idea in search of more life. 

As we headed back to the spot where we were metering fish all morning and getting bored of watching the Yummy skip, something caught my eye. We were on a great tack wtih the kite literally out to our 2-3 o'clock way out in clean water. I guess I missed the  blow up but saw that the kite/balloon was acting weird and falling quickly into the water. Then finally, my clip released and it was obvious we were ON.  I had the clip tensioner maxed out but with the mild winds (<10 knots) it may have been too tight.

I offered to give the rod to Mike because he hasn't caught a big tuna on his boat but he insisted so I was harnessed in and ready to fight that battle.  Nice fish, hooked around 4pm and landed about 40 minutes later.  Fun fight with about 16-18 pounds of drag. Could've button down the drag more but babied the fish.  Mike did a great job handling the boat and solo gaff. 

Measured 61" X 44" which equates to about 134 pounds.  True IGFA catch but decided not to weight to save time. Fun fish.

BIG fish, 200#-250# easy, were leaping out of the water like I've never seen.  Around the boat, we had several spots as we were running in at 25 knots. Nope, Mike wanted a one and done trip and we were back at the harbor to clean the fish by dark. 

This was a much needed break for me to get out on a friend's boat.  It has been a tough winter/spring for me (as it has for many of us) with my business closed for 9 weeks, my dad's passing away and port motor that may need a rebuild.  Mechanic trouble shooting and hoping it isn't so.

Lots of fish to be caught. Go get one!!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:17:01 PM by Hooked »
Geoff Hersch
Hooked-48' Riviera

Scott Kingsmill

Re: 135# Bluefin Tuna 6/27/20
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 07:47:19 PM »
Nice catch Geoff. Glad you got out on the water. Fishing is one of the best ways for us to getaway from all the craziness we are living in right now. We are getting some engine work done ourselves. Hopefully the tuna hang around here for awhile so we don't miss out on them.

Scott K.

Jeff Tom

• Start'm Young
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 08:55:22 PM »
Happy for you Geoff, nice fish...
Jeff

Team Black Fin

Mike Ellinger

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 08:50:59 AM »
Thank you a ton Geoff, great trip and insane how many fish are out there right now.  We probably caught one of the smaller ones from what we saw.  It appears they are settling in and another great season is upon us this summer/fall.  I appreciate all of your knowledge and experience with these fish!  They are humbling.  That one Flyer you have seems to have the magic as well!  Hoping just a turbo on your boat Geoff.  Tight lines everyone.  FYI, a friend caught a 18-20lb yellowfin on a popper at the 312 on 6/30 and missed a bunch more on breaking fish. 

CBailey

• Administrator
  • El Presidente
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 08:55:03 PM »
Congrats guys on your tuna. Good news that they're settling in. I hope everyone has a shot at them...

Hattaboy

• If you're not out fishing you're being outfished
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 05:27:13 PM »
Congrat's, Mike and Geoff!

Great report. Can't wait to get out there soon.

Best,

G

Copyright © Tuna Dana Angling Club Tuna All Rights Reserved Tuna Privacy Policy Tuna Terms and Conditions Tuna Site Map Tuna Advertise

The Dana Angling Club is a Non Profit Corporation Founded November 25, 1975 An Associate Member of: Dana Point Fisheries Enhancement Program, International Game Fish Association and United Anglers of Southern California

Website by OCwebs