Established 1975 Contact Us: info@danaanglingclub.org Weigh SlipFacebook Dana Angling Club
Dana Angling Club Dana Angling Club

Author Topic: Tuna Tournament and a Marlin  (Read 507 times)

Scott Kingsmill

Tuna Tournament and a Marlin
« on: August 03, 2020, 11:02:15 PM »
My friends Kevin Cryan, Graham Trimper and myself had a nice start to the weekend with a couple 15 lb. yellowtails on a kelp paddy at the 289 Saturday morning. We then headed for the Eastend of SCI to go around to the backside to look for BFT. Bumpy seas going up the backside so we slowly worked our way up. Lots of boats and small foaming tuna halfway up the island. No bites for us. My brother Jim (on Chaser) called and said bigger tuna at the Westend of the island. Too bumpy to get there fast, so we slowly worked our way there in the afternoon. We threw on lots of foamers but no bites and watched Chaser keep getting fish. That night we stayed at NW Harbor. The next morning was a whole different day with a beautiful ocean. As we left the anchorage, there were some small breaking fish, BFT, but didn't stay up long enough to get to. We wanted to go back to try for the tuna but running a little light on fuel so we needed to fish our way towards home. Trolled over the Mackerel Bank but it was a desert. Lots of paddy's but no fish. Not sure where to go to next. Then got a text from Jim that Swagger got a double near the 152. After a bit we picked up the jigs and ran to the area. We then put the jigs back in about a mile from the 152. Not long after two jigs were bit, an Eye Candy Booger and a small black & purple jig with a small bird on it. Kevin & Graham ran down to grab the poles. I came down to clear the other lines with boat still in gear. Their fish came off pretty quickly. Then a marlin was on our no-hook squid chain and rubber pink jig. Graham put a drop back in and the marlin was on it but wouldn't bite. I grabbed another rod and put a second drop back in and got bit right away. After a 40 minute battle Graham leadered the fish off the bow. I told him whatever you do, don't let go of the leader but try and bring the fish to the back of boat. We'll try to remove the hook. Graham was close to the stern but line broke at the hook so no great pics but still a great day. My rookie marlin crew did a great a job. Thanks for helping me get my first time first marlin of the season catch. Thanks for the text Jim. Finally some luck.
On another note, so very sad for our great military servicemen that lost their lives at San Clemente Island last Friday. I had the right shirt on Sunday, "4 the Fallen". An awesome organization that 100% of the donations go towards America's injured heroes. Check them out at www.4-thefallen.org. Rest in peace young American soldiers. 

Scott Kingsmill
Wild Bill

Rich Palys

Re: Tuna Tournament and a Marlin
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 02:34:37 PM »
Congratulations & well done Scott & the Wild Bill crew!
-rich

Hattaboy

• If you're not out fishing you're being outfished
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »
Congratulations, Scott and crew!

We didn't catch any Tuna in the tournament but had a great time as always.

Best,

G

Jeff Tom

• Start'm Young
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 02:57:30 PM »
Great for You Scott and crew...we did almost the same,ran to the 289 for nothing and went down the Clemente Canyon for nothing and turned around going towards the back side late in the day...turned back down to stay in the Cove and headed back to the back side on Sunday. Much better weather and lots of non biting fish. Dropped a few flyers to foamers, but the fish seemed very small. Had fish on the meter and boiled around us all day. Just no bites. We did some macks on balloons, flyers on the kite, flyers on kites, fly lined macks, sardines.... chum helped alot, but not on the hook. Painful to see a boat in front of us hook up on a big one. I guess maybe the moon could have played a role.

Congratulations!..

Jeff, logan, dale.                                                     
Jeff

Team Black Fin

Pat

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
Congrats Scott!

watrloged

• BOD
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 08:07:03 AM »
Great Job Scott... keeping the Kingsmill traditions up.   Nice to have "on the water" info too...1st Flag!!!! woo hoo....Dave

Copyright © Tuna Dana Angling Club Tuna All Rights Reserved Tuna Privacy Policy Tuna Terms and Conditions Tuna Site Map Tuna Advertise

The Dana Angling Club is a Non Profit Corporation Founded November 25, 1975 An Associate Member of: Dana Point Fisheries Enhancement Program, International Game Fish Association and United Anglers of Southern California

Website by OCwebs