Established 1975 Contact Us: info@danaanglingclub.org Weigh SlipFacebook Dana Angling Club
Dana Angling Club Dana Angling Club

Author Topic: Yellowtail at San Clemente Island  (Read 106 times)

Hattaboy

• If you're not out fishing you're being outfished
Yellowtail at San Clemente Island
« on: April 05, 2021, 03:26:06 PM »
I left Friday afternoon for SCI with my two brothers, Kenton and Todd and our friend Jon Flesher. We haven't done a real fishing trip for a long time together so this was a special opportunity even though the fishing hasn't been great. We got over to the Cove about 6 pm Friday. Metered around, found some marks and dropped the snaggers. Found some squid and anchored up. 2 other boats were in the anchorage. We snagged about 75 pieces fo squid. There were seals everywhere and they were dumb. Todd caught 2 seals on live squid. They were too dumb to pull the squid off the hook, so they just ate the whole thing. Ugh! No squid float because too many seals. Anyway, we fished grey light through 8:30 am when the cove closed. I had one mystery fish that was probably a BSB. Broke me off. We headed around the frontside and fished a bunch of spots all day in really sloppy, windy seas. I was stuck at SCI. Too rough to try for Catalina. Caught lots of Kelp Bass, Sheepshead, Rock Fish, White Fish, a few Bonita. Cove opened at 6:30 pm so we went back. We were the only boat for the night. Couldn't make squid but still had enough. Kenton caught a huge BSB, probably 100+#. Bad release and it floated. We're in the dark now so I pull the hook and we go find it and successfully get it to go back down. Spent the night and fish grey light again. One 30# BSB so we left and went around front again. Ended up sitting at White Rock on some bait marks. Birds get active and Yellowtail start busting coming toward the boat. Hundreds of boils going off. We all get bit and fight nice size Yellowtail to the boat. Todd ends up having a 6' Leopard Shark so he is the only one without a Yellowtail. They disappeared moving up the Island and we never got another shot at them even thought I pulled the hook and we went looking. A great weekend on the water all in all. 59-61 degree water. Here's some pic's

Best,

G

Jeff Tom

• Start'm Young
Re: Yellowtail at San Clemente Island
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 03:33:47 PM »
Atta boy!.."H"....that is some kind of trip. I love it when it's the 9th inning and it just happens....so happy for you and your family and friend... thats a great trip to see... you caught a bunch of fish!.... and the yellows are huge!...

JT...
Jeff

Team Black Fin

watrloged

• BOD
Re: Yellowtail at San Clemente Island
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 02:54:56 PM »
Great job, glad you got out!!!!

Copyright © Tuna Dana Angling Club Tuna All Rights Reserved Tuna Privacy Policy Tuna Terms and Conditions Tuna Site Map Tuna Advertise

The Dana Angling Club is a Non Profit Corporation Founded November 25, 1975 An Associate Member of: Dana Point Fisheries Enhancement Program, International Game Fish Association and United Anglers of Southern California

Website by OCwebs