Established 1975 Contact Us: info@danaanglingclub.org Weigh SlipFacebook Dana Angling Club
Dana Angling Club Dana Angling Club

Author Topic: Catalina Warmin up  (Read 100 times)

Jeff Tom

• Start'm Young
Catalina Warmin up
« on: April 11, 2021, 09:23:25 AM »
Took the Viewpoint Lacrosse team to Catalina for some team bonding. Inspite of NOAA, fished the frontside from Longpoint to Toyon for all you want bass and bonita. Seals were merciless as always and one of the boys lost a mystery fish that he couldn't stop and broke off. Sardines worked well in 85 feet and the boys got to see the Bald Eagle scoop a white fish that we tossed next to the boat.

Water was up to 65.9 there with very little down hill current but steady lump from the NW blow outside the island. Lots of boat traffic but fish up and down that area. Should start to heat up a bit and maybe we can target some other species soon.

Trust: in the past, I used NOAA a lot for my weather reports and this past weekend it conflicted with my Weather apps, which one do you trust?.... after conferring with other DAC members and friends, it was thought that the weather APPs are slightly more focused in on the areas you fish and are better to be trusted than NOAA as they have a general area of coverage to what their scope is. So we went with our WINDy and Buoy apps that gave us 2-7 knots frontside of CAT vs. the 10-20 knots with Gusts to 25 that NOAA did. Not sure if it helps you seasoned guys, but had to make this trip happen for the kids...

Get some, the fish are out there and tons of stuff to be had. Good luck!

J
Jeff

Team Black Fin

Hattaboy

• If you're not out fishing you're being outfished
Re: Catalina Warmin up
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 02:29:08 PM »
Great report, Jeff!

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. Good to hear the fish are biting as the water temps come up. It make sense that the weather apps are more accurate than NOAA. I'll start comparing myself.

Best,

G

watrloged

• BOD
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 03:24:44 PM »
Always fun to get the kids out.  They love the adventure!!!  and they are so excited to go!!!

Jeff Tom

• Start'm Young
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 04:06:00 PM »
Long Point had 65 degrees as well out to mid channel and birds, bait and mammals...

Small raft of shearwaters in there as well.

J
Jeff

Team Black Fin

Copyright © Tuna Dana Angling Club Tuna All Rights Reserved Tuna Privacy Policy Tuna Terms and Conditions Tuna Site Map Tuna Advertise

The Dana Angling Club is a Non Profit Corporation Founded November 25, 1975 An Associate Member of: Dana Point Fisheries Enhancement Program, International Game Fish Association and United Anglers of Southern California

Website by OCwebs